32'-1" x 7'-0" x 11'-0"
Seating Capacity: 16
This car was operated by the Brussels Tramway division of Société des Transports Intercommunaux de Bruxelles (STIB).
It is a typical example of the numerous
Brussels Standard cars
which Brussels Tramways constructed in their own shops.
The cars also generally underwent two complete rebuilds during their long service life.
Old Pueblo Trolley has a similar car.
The last rebuild of this series of cars occurred in the 1960's. This rebuild moved the route and destination information into new roll sign boxes built on the ends of the car.
Previously, the destination and route signs were on top of the car. This change was made so the cars would clear the subway tunnels. However, the insurance company refused to insure these still largely wooden cars for operation in the subway. Therefore, the cars were relegated to surface-only operation until they were retired in the mid to late 1970's. Thanks to Claude Sabot and Leon Dochy for updating this bit of Brussels trolley history.
The car is currently having some minor cosmetic work done on it. At the point the trolley line is electrified in Kingston, it is expected that 1504 will be one of the first electric cars operating.
Car 1504 was donated to the museum by Mr. Joseph Supor in 1984.